Accomplishments for this month are pretty great. I read a lot (the list below is proof of that) on my last full month of train riding (huzzah!) but will also miss the 2 hours a day I get to sit and read (relatively) undisturbed. I’m transitioning to commuting via car to my job now, so I expect my reading numbers to slow down quite a bit. I would switch to audio books but I don’t have the patience for listening to books. I’d rather fill my time with podcasts (Undisclosed, Tanis, The Black Tapes, Hello From the Magic Tavern and My Favorite Murder to name a few) for the hour plus drive to the new gallery. I’m also hoping to move full-time to Connecticut by February (to be closer to work, and the fiance) but honestly have no idea if that will happen in a timely and orderly fashion.
You’ll also notice a new look for the blog! I’m still working on some design kinks, but for the most part the new website is all set up. I invested in the Ultimate Book Blogger app and I’m loving how easy reviewing is now (not to mention the archive!) Feedback on good/bad/ugly is always appreciated.
My goal for 2017 is to try and write reviews in a timely manor. I didn’t expect so much to happen in 2016, and to go through such a reading drought come June, but I would sit on finished reviews for weeks at a time. I need to use this scheduling posts more! Here’s to more organization, reviews and reading!
What I Read
- Rebel in the Sands (Rebel in the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton
- The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh
- The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25) by Renee Ahdieh* ★★★★
- The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.5) by Renee Ahdieh* ★★★★
- The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1.5) by Renee Ahdieh* ★★★★
- The Queen of Spades & Other Stories by Alexander Pushkin
- The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renne Ahdieh
- The Garden of Three Hundred Flowers (A Thousand Nights, #1.5) by E.K. Johnston* ★★★
- Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- Pride’s Spell (Sin du Jour, #3) by Matt Wallace
- Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson
- Omega Rising (Codename Omega, #1) by Jessica Meats
- Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard
- Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter, #8) by Jack Thorne, John Tiffany & JK Rowling
- The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1) by Rin Chupeco
(* means no review)
Did Not Finish
- Origin (Corpus, #1) by Jessica Khoury [10%]: I had a difficult time getting involved with the story and the characters. The cover is what drew me in, and I was in the mood for more science fiction type read but this was just not as good as I thought it would be. The writing was also mediocre.
- A Murder In Time (Kendra McDonovan, #1) by Julie McElwain
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V.E. Schwab [2.21] : words cannot accurately express how excited I am for this release. It is the only book I am looking forward to purchasing for the month of February!
- Miranda and Caliban by Jacqueline Carey [2.14] : a retelling of Shakespeare’s Tempest? Yes please!
- King’s Cage (Red Queen, #3) by Victoria Aveyard [2.7] : i added this after Red Queen had a promising start but Glass Sword quickly derailed me. Might finish this series, might not – might wait for the library copy instead of purchasing.
To Read List Goals
A new section my monthly wrap up. This month I managed to read a few books that have been on my TBR list for a while. My goal is to read at least two from this list every month. You can see all the books on my TBR list here!
For February I’d like to finally read Alice Hoffman’s The Marriage of Opposites and Sara Houghtelling’s Pictures at an Exhibition. I’ve had Hoffman’s latest on my shelf for a good year, and a friend keeps recommending Houghtelling’s book so figured I’d get these two books off my list 🙂
I’ve also started War and Peace! So be on the look out for updates via Book Club!